Important: Read up on what Barcamp is all about on the Main Page, where we describe what Barcamp is, how the day will proceed, how session slots are allotted, how much it costs (tl;dr: nothing), what Barcamp is NOT and what it means to participate at Barcamp.
Sunday, October 7, 2012
Timings: 9a.m - 6p.m
Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute,
H R Maharaja Marg,
Matunga, Mumbai - 400019
Here is the venue map
 Ways to reach VJTI
- Wadala Station
- King Circle Station
- Matunga Station
BEST Routes 5, 6L, 7L, 8L, 11L, 15, 21, 22L, 24, 29, 43, 45, 64, 65, 66, 67, 76, 88, 90L, 92L, 93L, 110, 151, 161, 169, 171, 172, 312, 314, 315, 353, 411, 504L, 506L, 521L
Here is what you can help us with:
- Manning the registration desks
- Videography, photography (to video-tape and upload all sessions)
- Session coordination (time-keeping, scheduling)
- Tweeting/taking notes/live-blogging)
Here is stuff we need:
- Spike Guards
- Wi-Fi routers
- Index-card stickers
- Video and still cameras (to record all the sessions)
- Money (we don't actively solicit sponsorships anymore- but if you can pitch in to sponsor food/chai/snacks/internet/our domain/hosting/etc, please get in touch with us at email@example.com
If you'd like to volunteer with planning this Barcamp, join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/barcampmumbai
Please follow our Twitter account for any announcements.
Facebook RSPV Barcamp Mumbai 10
You can edit this page to add your session yourself!.
Please put your session details below by clicking on the 'edit' button to the right of the "Sessions List" section below and using the following format (You'll need to create an account first, if you haven't already):
* '''Title''' by [http://example.com/ Your Name] for ''insert intended audience here''. : Insert a long description here without line-breaks. Seriously, no line-breaks.
The three single quotes add the block formatting and the two single quotes add italic formatting. Those brackets up there are for links and the colon is to ensure that the list is not closed.
The above wikitext will be marked up thus:
- Title by Your Name for insert intended audience here.
- Insert a long description here without line-breaks. Seriously, no line-breaks. No pressing the enter key. Pretty please.
Once you are done posting your session details here, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We need this (your email address) to send you the date and venue for this Barcamp; send you our pre-Barcamp-day instruction set and get in touch with you regarding any changes.
 Sessions List
Note that each session is supposed to be 20 minutes long. Also, you will need to create an account to edit this page. Sorry about the extra work, but we have had pretty bad experiences with spam. Those CAPTCHAs haven't worked out for us either. BTW- if you can figure out how to scrub the spam out of our database dump (of the Barcamp archives), get in touch with our friendly neighbourhood sysop, Mehul
- Number crunching for cheap (or for free) by Aditya Sengupta for Engineering and science students/professionals.
- This session will discuss how you can use free software tools to perform engineering and scientific computation. This will include demos on Scilab, Octave, Python (with Numpy, Scipy and Matplotlib), R, Maxima and Sage. The target audience for this talk will be students and professionals in engineering and science who have only used commercial/proprietary tools for their engineering or scientific calculations and others interested in using free software tools in engineering and scientific education.
- Gama, Gama, Hey! by Aniceto (The Colossus) Pereira for Anyone with a penchant for storytelling.
- This session will take a brief look at the life and times of one of the strongest men in the world, The Great Gama.
- The next Recession will hit you___wait for it__NOW! by @crazyandhow (Mohit Sureka) for all Money minded greedy people.
- This session will predict when the next Recession hits you, your finances, your lifestyle and how you cannot escape cyclical economic slowdowns. Yes, I am the same crazy guy who took the sessions on 'Modus operandi of the Satyam Scam' & 'Why facebook IPO will always lose your $$$ ???'
- The Martial Arts of a Start Up Entrepreneur by Sandeep Laxman for Wannabe/Startup Entrepreneurs.
- This session will take a discuss how learning martial arts can help you become a better entrepreneur. The main focus will be on the mindset, trial and tribulations of a startup entrepreneur and how concepts martial arts can actually be applied get over them. If you have been worried about facing your darkest fears, this session is for you!
- Valuable Learnings from 3 Years of Entreprenurship By Loknath Swain for those intersted in entreprenurship and own business
- Session will present an insights of an entreprenaur who could build up a Pvt ltd company , team , clients and running business from few thousand rupees. It will focus on 1) What should be avoided when planning a strat up, 2) How to build up a team and obstrucles in path of team building, 3) Why money is not only capital in initial phase 4) How to kill frustation when it comes, 5) Why should you hear to a good accountant and 6) and , Why one should start his/her start up if he/she is planning without making delay !
- Making a Living with Art - with Gift Economy by Ankur Aras for Struggling / Upcoming Artists.
- Sharing information (definition, elements) & experiences - from living with 'Gift Economy'.
- The dummy's tech guide to Motorsports and Racing by Nirav Gangar N_Gang for Everyone.
- This session will increase your knowledge in the field of motorsport. Come experience the roar of a raging race engine!.
- Hospitality Etiquette's on business meeting and dinning by Rutavi Mehta for professionals and young enterpreneurs who wana impress during presentations over that coffee or dinner.
- In this session we will discuss on how you can use etiquette's to make difference in business meeting, young entrepreneurs meeting business achiever to present his plan over dinner. There might be demo of table etiquette if space is available.The target audience for this talk and live demo (if possible)will be students and professionals wanting to mark that one "yes" from the company's MD where he has made efforts in presentation.
- Are you a serial killer? Is there a serial killer amidst us? What makes a serial killer? by Rashi for the curious and paranoid
- This session will be attempt to help attendees understand the psyche of a psychotic killer.
- Dare to think beyond Govt Hospitals!!! by Paras Sharma for anyone who needs medical treatment they cannot afford
- Is your bank balance in worse shape than you are? Terrified of going to govt hospitals? Fikar not, because there are some good souls out there who'd be more than happy lighten your financial burden at such times. This session well touch upon some of them. Desirable Dress-code -Ponytails and business suits
- What To Do When You Don't Know What To Do by Nasir & Aditi for Those who want to get to doing things in order to avoid brain degeneration by knowing about what they can actually do when not knowing what they can actually do
- Build Your Own Public Transport system by Siddharth Sharma for all commuters and well-wishers of Mumbai.
- Do you think the citizens of Mumbai, armed with nothing but cheap GPSs, some web/mobile apps and their ever-more-slender pocketbooks can build the world's most beautiful shared transport infrastructure? I'll be talking about my attempt to bootstrap precisely such a wonder.
- The Indian Space Scene by @pradx for anyone who loves space.
- Indian Space Programme. Indian Space Communities. How to join one if you're interested.
- Hacking UI/UX for your next App (web/mobile) by Talvinder Singh for Design N00bs, startup guys and developers who want to get the touch of design.
- This session is about how to hack yourself a good looking AND functional UI. I will teach you how to create an interesting interface from scratch or piggy-backing on someone else's design. Plus, how to effectively use the free resources available on web. This session is suitable for anyone who wants to get the basics of UI or just wants to get a good looking website up and running overnight. Will use Photoshop, fireworks and some free wireframing/mockup apps for this session. Knowing the basics of photoshop will be helpful.
- How to produce & mix sound to create music by Mr Brilliant for Music enthusiasts. No knowledge required.
- I am sure, everyone of us has a distinct taste in music. How about creating your own genre of music? Turn your laptop into a music production studio by learning some neat tricks. Will use Sony Acid to teach how to create samples, loops, beats and finally your own track.
- Platelet Donation: Who-When-What-Where-How-Why by @ChAnkur for anyone & everyone.
- The session will cover the basics of platelet donation and aims towards raising awareness amongst public at large.
- How to get your dream job by @HimanshuKapadia for Every job seeker / Anyone seeking a professional opportunity.
- I'd love this session to be a meaningful dialogue with nuggets of tips & tricks on conventional, unconventional and some outright bizarre ways of getting yourself your dream job. I hope to facilitate a freewheeling discussion on effective job seeking techniques and offer an HR Manager / Recruiter's perspective on recruitment and selection. Aim to help you in your quest to get yourself the dream job, you've always wanted.
- How Google can help us marketeers by Aman Joshi @amanjoshi9 for Marketeers, digital marketeers, those looking for a job, those looking for ways to impress their bosses!.
- A different take on how you can understand marketing using Google. Understanding the relation between search and offline marketing...A look at some of our celebrities and their popularity online...A funny take on what the world is searching for!
- Why do we laugh by Utsav Chakraborty @satanbhagat for Anybody and everybody who is interested.
- And a discourse on life, death and multiverses explained through dimensional transgression.
- Buildings schools in rural India - with state of the art infrastructure through crowdsourcing by Shrinath Sundaram - @Javashri for Anyone who is interested in creating an whole new economic eco-system.
- Challenges and tasks that we have faced so far in our pilot project which is coming up in Darbhanga, Bihar.
- The Big Strategy
- Be a rapper in 20 mins! for both young and old, at least for those who are bold!
- I'd luv to have people wid little or some amount of rhythm or rather sense of beats....so that you can make your own song or rap it lyk real rappers....and that too with your own lyrics! so gear up, to put your own world in paper, and be a self- made rapper!
- My tryst with the Ruins of Hampi by Srinivas Kulkarni @srinistuff for Eveyone who love to travel and explore across India/World... Ones who enjoy history, art, culture and are interested to know about ancient archaeology of the ruins in the mystical & historical Vijayanagara empire of India... .
- Media freedom in the Internet age by Geeta and Shobha for students, bloggers, journalists and general 'net users.
- This session will discuss how media freedom in general as well as on the Internet is being undermined by excessive and arbitrary regulation in the form of rules for the Information Technology Act. It will include simple FAQs on copyright, privacy and censorship that bloggers and journalists face and exchange information on strategies - technical and otherwise - to protect internet freedom.
- Genetic Engineering, the ugly part by Sudarshan Rangarajan by SimplySud for everyone who munches food.
- it is around us, and it is happening. It is really bad for us. why how and many other things.
- Run a marathon in 100days by @GirishMallya Conditions Apply .
- Vipassana and Happiness by Deven Shah @devenGoa. for everyone, atheists are more than welcome.
- Vipassana is a very logical and scientific form of meditation. I will share the basics about what happens during the course and how can you make the most of it. It completely transformed me and I can divide my life in two parts: before and after practicing Vipassana meditation. It's a gift you owe to yourself! I'd be happy to answer queries and clear some misconceptions and fears about this technique.
- Cyber rights for Bloggers by Shobha S V @Shobha_SV. How does IT Act impact bloggers? I also plan to touch upon aspects of content ownership, copyright etc. in context of blogging.
- 2 years in 20 minutes by @SamuraiSingh for anyone who wants to know what the MBA fuss is all about.
- A satirical take on MBA in India, the few basic facts that they would draw out and teach you over 2 years. And a few more fun things in between.
- How YOU can become a recruiter by Sanjeev Sarma ... Social recruitment for social people. Learn how recruitment works, get started immediately. Want to setup your own recruitment agency? No sweat :) all it takes is to hear me out.
- The Rape of the Lock by Piyush Santwani and Ankur Bohra for Hacking and Linux bugs.
- "Data spills provide no thrills (unless you're the bad guy)". This demonstrative session based on password cracking will guide you to implement successful hacks on password protected PDFs, RARs and Windows Login system, using Linux. Breathtaking and interactive web-based hacks for command line critics.
- Mumbai Runaways by @Miss_Mused & @scattereddimag for everyone who needs to RUNAWAY from the city that is chaotic , noisy and still loved enough to come back to. We'll tell you about 10 places you can pack your bags and head to over the weekend and still be back in time for work on a monday morning.
- What Camera Should I Buy? by @hiway for everyone who is interested in answer to the question ;)
- Improv by @quirkyrebel for some laughs, games and everyone who has already been a part of this session before.